Lauryn Hill Faces Three Years In Jail After Pleading Guilty To Tax Evasion On Earnings Of $1.8m

She earned millions in chart-topping band The Fugees and in her solo career.

And now Lauryn Hill faces three years behind bars after admitting in court today to failing to file tax returns between 2005 and 2007, during which time she earned $1.8m.

The eight time Grammy winner was spotted arriving for the scheduled hearing today in Newark, New Jersey looking downcast.

Hill, 37, was charged earlier this month with failing to file income tax returns for several years with the Internal Revenue Service.

Federal prosecutors accused her of not paying taxes on earnings in 2005, 2006 and 2007 from recording and film royalties

When the judge asked if Hill ‘intentionally and willingly’ failed to file the returns, she replied, ‘Yes.’

She faces a maximum of one year sentence on each of the three counts, on which she was charged three weeks ago.

During the hearing, her attorney Nathan Hochman said she planned to pay back the taxes she owes.

U.S. Magistrate Michael Shipp initially scheduled sentencing for early October but agreed to delay it until late November to give her time to make repayment.

Hill admitted she didn’t pay taxes on about $818,000 earned in 2005, $222,000 in 2006 and $761,000 in 2007. The money was earned by four corporations she owned.

In addition to the three in jail she could also be given up to $75,000 in fines.

Hill was released on $150,000 bail, and her sentencing hearing is set for November.

Dressed in a dark jacket, white button up shirt and a long peach skirt, Hill declined to comment after Friday’s hearing.

However in a lengthy post on her Tumblr page earlier this month she responded to the charges, claiming she wanted to leave mainstream society in protest against it’s climate of hostility, false entitlement, manipulation, racial prejudice, sexism and ageism.’

She said: ‘Over commercialization and it’s resulting restrictions and limitations can be very damaging and distorting to the inherent nature of the individual.’I did not deliberately abandon my fans, nor did i deliberately abandon any responsibilities, but i did however put my safety, health and freedom and the freedom, safety and health of my family first over all other material concerns!

‘I also embraced my right to resist a system intentionally opposing my right to whole and integral survival.’

She also claimed in her online post that she explained herself to authorities when she was questioned about her failure to pay taxes.

Lauryn said: ‘My intention has always been to get this situation rectified. When I was working consistently without being affected by the interferences mentioned above,i filed and paid my taxes.

‘This only stopped when it was necessary to withdraw from society, in order to guarantee the safety and well being of myself and my family.’

Lauryn shot to fame as the lead singer of The Fugees, before beginning her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which remains her only album, barring an unplugged live recording.

She then largely disappeared from public view to raise her six children, five of whom she had with reggae singer Bob Marley’s son Rohan.

Follow Us On Twitter
@ClueMagazine

Sisi Eko Pageant…Queen Drags Organisers To Court Over Unpaid Prizes

2011 Sisi Eko Winner, Yinka Adewale

There seems to be a revolution going on in the beauty sector in Nigeria.

In less than two weeks, there have been two reported scandals about Nigeria’s two leading beauty shows; Miss Nigeria organised by Daily Times Nigeria and Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria (MBGN) by Silverbird Group.

In the case of MBGN, its 2012 winner, Ayuk Isabella was disqualified from contesting in the Miss World contest for age cheat allegation. For Miss Nigeria, its Creative Director, Nike Oshinowo was dropped and replaced with Elohor Aisien few days ago.

Now, the organiser of Sisi Eko beauty pageant, Mrs Tonia Martins is in a big mess over unpaid prizes promised the winner of the beauty event, Yinka Adewale.

On Saturday, December 17, 2011, Yinka, a 19year old UNILAG undergraduate of English Language, emerged the winner of the maiden edition of Sisi Eko beauty contest.

To her, she immediately felt relieved as she thought she would then become a car owner, N200,000 richer and have a year modelling contract to herself as Tonia’s Sisi Eko beauty pageant promised the pageant winner.

But alas! six months after the event, she has not gotten any of her prizes.

According to what was exclusively revealed Yinka has made efforts to get her prizes from Tonia but she has always been given different excuses.

We were reliably told that Tonia once threatened to dethrone Yinka as the beauty queen when she became persistent of getting what she won as Miss Sisi Eko 2011.

A source close to Yinka exclusively revealed that Yinka pays for her own wears, hairdo, cab hire which the organisers should have provided the beauty queen in her capacity as one.

We were further told that Tonia once granted an interview to a fashion blogger, Joseph Odiga, where she claimed Yinka has been given her car and other prizes won as promised the winner of the contest.

We learnt that the first and second runner up were promised to get a plasma TV with N100,000 and a refrigerator with N50,000 respectively as their prizes.

But the runner up, Oma and Tosin only got a ‘hunch back’ 21 inches TV and a refrigerator respectively without the cash prizes attached to what they were promised by Tonia.

A twist to the story is that Tonia has started making adverts for the second edition of the beauty show.

Investigation reveals that Tonia promised the winner of the 2012 edition of Sisi Eko a trip to the United Kingdom along with other prizes.

Already, she has asked intending contestants to pay the sum of N5000 into a bank account with auditions coming up in August and October.

Meanwhile, the beauty queen, Yinka has dragged Tonia to court. Her lawyer, Festus Keyamo has written to Tonia notifying her of Yinka’s intention to take her to the courts if she does not pay her what she won.

She was given seven days to pay Yinka her prizes won or face a lawsuit.

Asa Vs QuestionMark Feud Gets Messier [Asa Alleges Death Threats]

Asa

Asa

The court case between nigerian female singer, Asa and former label, Questionmark Entertainment has taken a new dimension.
Going by the latest development, Asa has alleged death threats on her by some people.
Asa took to twitter some few days back to make this known. According to her tweet, “I am passionate about my music, I have received death threats from these people, I have kept my head up and focused on giving my best always.”
Tweeting further, the international artiste tweeted, “I do not have any NEW ALBUM selling in Nigeria called DOWN ON ME. Please do not purchase it!
She further pointed out the perpetrators behind the illegal sale of fake CDs.
According to her, “unfortunately, we blame it on Alaba Market but it’s not from them but from Question Mark Entertainment. Please pass on this message.
Asa then further hinted on plans to take a legal action on Question Mark Entertainment with this tweet, “we will inform you of any LEGAL releases when there is.
You will recall that Asa fell apart with Question Mark Entertainment some years ago. It was speculated that her former label boss, Kelvin once pointed a gun at her, which led to the birth of the track, Jailer.

Court Orders NDLEA To Pay Baba Suwe N21m Within 21days

Baba Suwe

Baba Suwe

Popular Yoruba comic actor, Babatunde Omidina, aka Baba Suwe, has again won a case against the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in court 2nd of march.
The anti drug agency had approached the court to challenge its earlier order that the agency should pay the actor the sum of 25million naira as compensation for the violation of his rights to personal liberty.
Giving her judgment earlier 2nd of march, Justice Yetunde Idowu of the Lagos High Court, Ikeja, Lagos ordered NDLEA to pay the sum of 25million naira into an interest yielding account within 21 days through the Chief Registrar of the High Court.
However, the court granted the request of NDLEA that it would not offer apology in any National Newspaper as earlier ordered, pending the outcome of the case before the Court of Appeal.

ASA SET TO DRAG FORMER LABEL OWNER KELVIN LUCIANO TO COURT OVER RELEASE OF HER SONG ‘DOWN WITH ME’

The battle line is drawn between Asa and her former music label owner, Mr. Kelvin Luciano Gabriel over what the former tagged the infrigement of her intellectual property. Only the court of law can settle the matter, Asa said through her rep.
In an email sent on thursday,Asa’s rep disclosed that they will take every legal means to secure what belong to them.
Email Below::
“It has come to our attention that a certain Nigerian Chronotech Limited (a CD factory) based in Lagos Nigeria is preparing to go into commercial production of a purported Asa music production titled ‘Down On Me’
The music production was purportedly authorised by Question Mark entertainment in partnership with marketer/ distributor MacKings Limited.
We wish to state categorically that Asa was not involved in this production in any form and the artiste’s team is very shocked by this misrepresentation from Question Mark entertainment or MacKings Limited, two organisations with which she has no relationship whatsoever
We also take this opportunity to notify individuals and organisations that this production and the associated illegal use of the Asa trademark are a violation of her intellectual property. We have informed our lawyers and appropriate action will be taken against any individual, body or corporate entity associated with this.
We thank Nigerian Chronotech for its professionalism in this matter and for promptly alerting Asa’s management to confirm the authenticity of this production, and look forward to this professionalism from other Nigerian music industry stakeholders
Asa continues to work hard on her music, and fans and the public will be promptly informed of any new releases through her management, publicist and other official channels”

Ghetto Dreams “The Da’Grin Story”Sues Virgin Atlantic N1billion For Copyright Infringement

Virgin Atlantic Airlines is currently swimming in mud waters as it was recently slammed with a one billion naira (N1, 000, 000, 000) lawsuit for infringing on the company’s rights of Stingomania over one of Nollywood movies, Ghetto Dreams by the managing director and chief executive officer,Mr Ope Banwo.
Ghetto Dreams is a movie released under the platform of Stingomania, a movie which was produced to celebrate the life and times of Dagrin (Olaitan Olaonipekun).
According to JimmySonde.com:
The Stingomania boss alleged that the full length of the movie was played on over 71 international routes of the airline, the video content and soundtracks were also played in their office, they uploaded a trailer and exhibited a poster of the movie on two of their websites including: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/ng; http://virginatlantic.mymovies.net; seatback@fly.virgin.com and the contents of the movie and particulars were also published in their inflight magazines circulated across all routes, travel agencies and inflight.
Justice Adah of the Federal High Court sitting at the Ikeja Judicial Division, Alausa, Lagos, only this morning granted an exparte order restraining the Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd whether by themselves, agents, privies, management, directors, pilots, flight crew etc from infringing or continuing to infringe the copyright in any audio, performance, soundtrack, cinematograph rights and audio-visual musical recordings of the plaintiff, Ope Banwo, as well as his literary rights particularly as contained in his work being the movie titled ”Ghetto Dreamz” as particularly described in the schedule to the application on the Defendants international air fleet as presently aired in – flight, as published in Seat-Back Magazine and websites pending the determination of the Motion on Notice for interlocutory injunction.
Mr Banwo sued for N1, 000, 000, 000 (One billion) as compensation; N5, 000, 000 (Five Million Naira Only) as the cost of prosecution while he also requested for the court to mandate the Defendants to publish apologies in three national newspapers, on the Defendants’ websites and in their inflight magazine. The court has granted the exparte order while the matter is adjourned to the 12th of March, 2012.